Balsam plant is a common plant which flowers annually. It is easy to grow in the backyard gardens and is available at the nurseries and plant sellers. It comes in wide variety of tones and different forms. The flowers are double petal and come in colors like White, red, orange, violet, yellow and pink. These flowers look like small roses and if you want to grow this pretty plant in your garden, read below some easy tips to grow and take care of a Balsam plant properly.
- Try growing them from seeds if possible instead of buying it from the nursery as having a plant germinate and grow at the same place is more effective.
- It usually requires 60 to 70 days to grow Balsam plant, right from sowing it to the flowering and hence, start as early as possible so that you can have they pretty flowers blooming at the end of spring.
- If you want to have an earlier color show, start planting them indoors. Sow directly in warmer climates or 8 weeks before the last frost date if you are growing the plants indoors.
- While planting, cover the seeds with a dusting of soil and make sure you keep in moist. If it is indoors, cover the soil with plastic to create moisture. The average germination times for this plant are 10 to 15 days and hence, keep it covered for this long.
- When the plants are around two inches tall and have a strong root, you can add some natural fertilizer to it.
- Balsam plants need moist and well-drained soil and a partially shaded place. Hence, make sure you arrange for this.
- Water the plants at the root so that the powdery mildew does not occur. Water the plant with a drip line method and in the dry months; water the plants at least twice a week. More frequent watering is necessary if the plants are in small containers or hanging containers.
- Make sure that you keep checking the leaves of the plants properly and detect if any pests from the soil are affecting the plant, especially if it is planted outdoors. If yes, talk to the nursery operator and get the right pesticide to cure this problem before the entire plant gets affected by it.
- Sprinkle the plant with water. You can use a bottle sprinkler for it. Spray the water on the leaves and flowers so that they look more supple and fresh and any soil or infectious deposits get washed away.