Lotus plants represent true beauty and purity and belong to the category of aquatic plants. These lotus flowers are available in a large variety of colors and sizes and can be very easily planted in your own garden. These flowers can be grown with the help of a lotus seed or a lotus tuber, by giving it proper conditions such as sunlight, water etc. Given below are some of the ways in which you can plant your own lotus flower.
Growing from the Seed
- To start planting your lotus flower, take the lotus flower seed and a metal file. Using the metal file, start filing the pointed tip of the seed in the downwards direction. If you will not scar the seed properly, the flower would not grow.
- The next important step is to place the filed seeds in a pot containing warm water. Make sure that you change the water daily till the lotus seeds sprout. Once you are done with soaking the seed in warm water, the next day you will observe that the seeds have grown to twice its original size.
- Cover the seeds with some modeling clay, not disturbing the sprouts that have grown up.
- Take a black colored pot and fill it with dense soil. The composition of the soil that is needed to grow lotus in your garden is 2 parts clay and one part river sand. Now gently push the seed inside the soil so that it nearly lies on the top of the soil layer.
- Keep on watering the pot for few weeks and you will find beautiful lotus flowers blooming in your garden.
Growing from the Tubers
- Take a bowl of warm water and place the tuber on its surface. Make sure that the tuber floats. Keep on changing the water every three to five days and keep the bowl near a warm window. Direct exposure to sunlight should be avoided.
- Take a pot and fill it with dirt. The best composition of dirt that is ideal for the growth of a lotus flower is 60% clay and 40% river sand.
- Set the tuber in the pot in such a way that the black part should face towards the wall of the pot whereas the growing part should lie in the center. Push the tuber gently but make sure not to bury it deep inside the soil.
- Water it daily and you will observe beautiful lotus flowers growing in and around your garden area.