Humming birds, also known as pollinators, transfer pollen by moving from one plant to another and successfully pollinating your garden.
Humming birds are inquisitive by nature and are consequently not used in birdhouses.
Usually humming birds search for nectar and tiny insects like spiders, which are found in most flower gardens.
Therefore, providing nectar feeders is the simplest and quickest way to attract humming birds to your back yard. A few ways to attract humming birds to your backyard include:
- Try not to use pesticides which can kill spiders and other tiny insects found in plants in your hummingbird garden.
- Include plants that provide nesting materials for the humming bird like willow trees and eucalyptus trees.
- Red, orange and dark purple colors mainly attract humming birds. Ensure you include flowering plants of these colors in your garden.
- Tubular shaped flowers and flower clusters with many tiny florets such as verbena attract humming birds.
- Humming birds also like shallow birdbaths with moving water and they even love to bathe on misted leaves. So, don’t forget to add water mister around broad-leafed plants in your garden.
- Most importantly, make sure you position the hummingbird garden where you will get the most enjoyment out of it.