An herb garden is a kind of a garden where herbs of various kinds of uses are grown. These types of gardens are generally grown inside a home garden and do not usually take up a lot of space to be designed or grown. Some individuals like having fruit tree gardens, some like plant and flower gardens while some are just interested in growing herbs. If you too are one of those people who love herb gardens and want to design one of your own, then you can follow the following given tips and suggestions:
1. The first question that you must ask yourself before designing your herb garden is what use you want your herbs for. If you wish to have a garden full of spicy Italian spices, then your plant shopping must be done accordingly whereas if you want herbs for medicinal, drying or cut flower use, then that is what you must design the garden in accordance with.
2. The next thing that you must keep in mind before designing an herb garden is the space and time you have to maintain it. If you have a smaller space for your garden, then you can plant your herb plants in a vertical or a horizontal container. This is also a good way to make use of your wasted garden area. But if you have a generous garden, then you can freely plant perennial herbs such as chives, oregano, lavender and sage etc.
3. Another thing that must be considered while designing an herb garden is what kind of a climate do you live in. There are many herbs which like cool and wet areas like parsley while some of the other herbs prefer dry and hot climatic conditions such as lavender. Make sure you plant herbs which suit your climate so that they grow well.
4. Pick an area for your herb garden which gets at least 5 hours of sunlight every day. It should also have good drainage for the water to drain out well. Placement of your herbs is very important as you do not want your garden to look chaotic and messy. Place colorful plants wisely in between green colored herbs so as to create a balanced look.
5. If you want to put in a pebble path, a fountain or a pond, then these things must be planned in the very beginning rather than in the middle of the process. Placing of garden accessories too will make your herb garden look good.