Azaleas bloom in the spring and come in different colors such as pink, peach, white etc. The best part is that you can grow them indoor and make your indoors look fresh and bright. With a little care your home grown azaleas will bring a beautiful touch to your house. Here are a few tips that will help you in growing indoor azaleas.
How to Grow Indoor Azaleas: A Few Tips
Growing indoor azaleas can be easy if you follow the tips mentioned below-
- Firstly, you need to choose your shrub correctly. There is a hardy azalea shrub, which is for outdoor planting. For indoor planting you will need greenhouse azaleas. They both belong to Rhododendron groups but are from separate sub genre.
- It is best to plant the azaleas during late spring or early fall. It is likely that the flowers will bloom in the next spring. But there are certain varieties of azaleas, namely ‘Flame Creeper’ and ‘Weston’s Lemon Drop’ that bloom during end summer. Also, keep in mind, this is a flower suited for a mildly cold climate, that is, the temperature should not go beyond freezing point or rise too high.
- It is extremely necessary for any plant to flourish, to have the right kind of soil. For azaleas you will need soil that is acidic, well drained and organically rich in nature. The soil PH level should be around 5.5 to 6. Also, soggy soil will not help in the growth of azaleas. But you should make sure that the soil does not dry out either.
- Pruning the plant occasionally is also important for its growth. It is advisable to cut the stem at a 45 degree angle, a quarter of an inch above the leaf node. If you annually prune the plants, it will re grow with full vigor and will look more attractive.
- For indoor azaleas, it is generally advised that you should fertilize your plant every two weeks with a fertilizer that is high in potassium content. Also regular watering of the plant during the initial period is necessary. Even after wards, during the dry season, water the plant regularly.
- Do not put the indoor azaleas directly in the sunlight. It is preferable to put it inside a room that is brightly lit, in order to get best results.
Thus, by following these simple tips, you can successfully plant and get flowers from your indoor azaleas, which will brighten your room a bit more.